--Craig Morgan TeicherOf course I don’t know whathappens to us: if we survive in thehands of love; if Cal, if Simoneand all the trembling answersthose questions entail; whetherby time or by disease or byan atom bomb right in the eye. Is itpossible death could be thrillingand fun? And after could there besomething somewhere and whatwill we do if we see each otherthere? Will the same songs stay stuckin our heads? Will medicinesucceed in making life so longwe will beg for medicine to end it?One cannot lock eyes with a bird,its eyes vacant as ball bearings, butmustn’t there be some recognitionin everything? Some fury, somequestioning? If one phrase could echothroughout eternity, would the earon the other side returna word? But what am I asking?Will I ever see a whale, and will his sizecompared to mine be a trueform of knowledge? Lonelinesshas depths writing fails to fathom.I could be clearer, say more, butit wouldn’t mean as much. Motherwill I ever find you again? Is fearof spiders fair? Is a powerabove minding the scales, be itscience or gods or the weather,and can they be tipped towardbalance from here? Is beauty morethan another form of pleasure?What, which, when, how is better?
2026-09-24
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I find I disagree about whether birds' eyes are as vacant as ball bearings, but on the general question mustn't there be some recognition in everything? I offer a sonnet I came across recently:
There is a Spirit that I Feel
Can I, imprisoned, body-bounded, touch
The starry garment of the Oversoul,
Reach from my tiny part to the great Whole,
And spread my Little to the infinite Much,
When Truth forever slips from out my clutch,
And what I take indeed, I do but dole
In cupfuls from a rimless ocean-bowl
That holds a million million million such?
And yet, some Thing that moves among the stars,
And holds the cosmos in a web of law,
Moves too in me: a hunger, a quick thaw
Of soul that liquifies the ancient bars,
As I, a member of creation, sing
The burning one-ness binding everything.
— Kenneth Boulding, 1939
Quaker economist, academic, and poet
Post a Comment