2020-10-10

 

--W. S. Merwin

I remember how I would say, “I will gather 
These pieces together, 
Any minute now I will make 
A knife out of a cloud.” 
Even then the days 
Went leaving their wounds behind them,
But, “Monument,” I kept saying to the grave, 
“I am still your legend.” 

There was another time 
When our hands met and the clocks struck 
And we lived on the point of a needle, like angels. 

I have seen the spider’s triumph 
In the palm of my hand. Above 
My grave, that thoroughfare,
There are words now that can bring 
My eyes to my feet, tamed. 
Beyond the trees wearing names that are not their own 
The paths are growing like smoke.

The promises have gone,
Gone, gone, and they were here just now. 
There is the sky where they laid their fish. 
Soon it will be evening.


[via Paris Rvw Daily Poem]


No comments: